According to the Oxford dictionary, the definition of ‘SUCCESS’ is as follows:
• noun 1 the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. 2 the attainment of fame, wealth, or social status. 3 a person or thing that achieves success.
Another definition found on the internet: (n) The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted.
So what is success for you?
This post came out after talking to a friend who decided to leave her HR job to follow her passion of working with microfinance. She said: I don’t feel fulfilled with my current job and I have been doing it only because I did not have an opportunity like this.
Sometimes you might have to abdicate from your dreams to achieve other priorities, but try to think for how long more you can stand this position and if the time has not arrived to follow your dreams.
Have you ever watched the video “What leads to success?” from TED ?
SUCCESS: PASSION – WORK – GOOD – FOCUS – PUSH – SERVE – IDEAS – PERSIST
“Do it for LOVE. Not MONEY” – “If you do it for love, the money comes anyway”
Steve Olson wrote:
- Success means knowing I do the right things for the right reasons.
- Success means not compromising integrity.
- Success means I share with those who need my help.
- Success means I give my time to my family.
- Success means providing value to others.
- Success means living up to my commitments.
- Success means building a community – not a network.
- Success means looking in the mirror and liking what you see.
He believes that money is the by-product of living a successful life – not the measure.
Try to list everything you looove doing. Now, can you think of a way to do what you love and get the SUCCESS that YOU want to achieve? If you said yes! Lucky you! Go for it!
Finally, there are only a few more days to 2010 and there is not a better time to think about it. Try to make your own definition of success and share it by adding to the comments! Good luck!